Writing an essay sometimes seems complicated and tedious. But if you write on a topic that you are interested in and comfortable with, it can be a great experience.
exclusive & plagiarism-free paper
Plus, choosing a topic for a research paper is not that difficult when you have a list of 360 ideas.
We at Place4Papers have squeezed everything you need from world history to prepare the most exciting topics for you. It will make you love history and the process of writing research papers.
🏆 10 Best History Research Topics for 2023
- The consequences of the Battle of Poitiers.
- The attack of the Mongols on Europe.
- The disposition of forces at the beginning of World War II.
- Industrialization in the United States.
- The Space Race 1957-1988.
- The death and legacy of Alexander the Great.
- Christendom in the period of the “Black Death.”
- Causes of the Great Schism.
- China and India during the colonial period.
- Martin Luther King’s Struggle for Black Rights.
📜 World History Research Paper Topics
World history is rich with significant events, so choosing a topic can confuse you. We have prepared a list of good world history research paper topics ranging from the formation of humanity as a species to 20th-century history and art. Now just take the option that interests you most.
Ancient History Research Paper Topics
The history of the ancient world is full of mysteries. This era extended from the birth of humankind as a species to the fall of Rome and many civilizations. At that time (100,000 B.C. to 500 A.D.), there were not as many people on earth as there are now, but incredible events were still taking place.
exclusive paper on any topic
in only 3 hours
Here are some great topics for a history research paper:
- Fundamental approaches to the study of the history of Ancient Civilizations.
- Civilization: is the concept correct and the leading scientific theories of modern science?
- The civilization of Ancient Greece was a prototype of modern society.
- The Etruscans in the history of ancient civilizations.
- Indian tribes in ancient America.
- The civilization of ancient Rome as a prototype of modern society.
- The prominent people of ancient Greece and their role in forming the state.
- Prominent people of ancient Rome and their role in the formation of the state.
- The economic and political consequences of wars in ancient Greece.
- The social causes of the fall of Babylonian civilization.
- Features of the formation and development of the Christian civilization of medieval Western Europe.
- The phenomenon of ancient Indian civilizations, preconditions for the emergence of the caste system.
- The civilization of Ancient Egypt and the emergence of Jewry.
- The main features and peculiarities of the development of civilizations of the Ancient East.
- Political and economic foundations for the existence of ancient civilizations of the Mediterranean.
- Dynamics of development of society and technologies of the World pre-Columbian. Civilizations of America (Aztec, Maya, Inca empires) in comparison with Europe.
- Legends and myths of the civilizations of the ancient world (Ancient East and Pre-Columbian America).
- The Renaissance as the connection between Antiquity and the New Age.
- Problems of the relationship between civilizations of Antiquity.
- Development of history as a science in the states of the ancient world.
- The civilization of ancient Japan as opposed to the cultures of old Europe.
- Influence of forms of ownership on the formation of the state system in Japan.
- Life and everyday life of the ancient Greeks.
- The role of Lycurgus in the formation of Sparta.
- Was the construction of the Great Pyramids of ancient Egypt a way to unify the population?
- What accounts for the appearance of the wonders of the ancient world?
- The evolution of the art of war in Rome: from the republic to the empire.
- The causes of the death of the ancient civilizations of South and Central America.
- The caste system in Ancient Egypt as a means of controlling society.
🏺 History Research Paper Topics Before 1500
Since the Middle Ages lasted a full thousand years, world history topics for research papers on this topic would not be difficult to find. All this time, great nations arose and perished in the world. Back then, monarchs fought fierce wars over land and faith. In the fire of the Middle Ages, European civilization was forged. Excellent prerequisites for research paper topics on world history before 1500, don’t you think?
- The prominent men of medieval Western Europe.
- The influence on the medieval world of the Byzantine Civilization.
- The great geographical discoveries and their impact on the development of Western and Eastern civilizations.
- Features of the development of Far Eastern civilizations during the Middle Ages.
- The civilization of Africa in the Middle Ages: scientific knowledge, theories, and prospects of development of the peoples of the African continent.
- The great rulers of the early Middle Ages and their influence on the formation of the states of Europe.
- Preconditions for the emergence of chivalry in Europe.
- The Crusades and their political background.
- The role of merchants in the spread of Christianity.
- The economic pressures of the Vikings on the development of the English kingdoms.
- The influence of Magdeburg rights on feudalism.
- Weakness of common culture as a reason for the emergence of feudalism.
- What was the effect of the bubonic plague epidemic on the redistribution of Europe?
- The Arab conquests, what would their continuation lead to?
- Reasons for Duke William’s invasion of England.
- Reasons for the defeat of English knighthood by common archers at the Battle of Crécy.
- What accounts for the high death toll from the Black Death.
- The Fall of the First and Second Rome – Similarities and Differences.
- Political reasons for the emergence of Iconoclasm.
- What was the result of the Iconoclasts’ struggle with the Church’s power?
- The emergence of schism in Kievan Rus.
- Can the emergence of Danelagus be considered justified?
- Rome after the fall and its social problems.
- How did the Great Schism in 1054 affect political relations?
- Reasons for the weakening of chivalry and the liberation of Palestine by the Arabs.
- Was the dominance of the Vikings militarily over the English due to their culture?
- The reign of the Northern Song Dynasty in China and its economic rise.
- Political Reasons for the Establishment of the Inquisition.
Research Paper History Topics: Renaissance (15th – 16th Centuries)
The Renaissance was a cultural, scientific, and socio-political movement that emphasized the rediscovery and application of the texts and thoughts of classical Antiquity. Looking at this era, one can find some great interesting topics for world history research papers.
- Prerequisites for the emergence of the Renaissance.
- The political background and the consequences of the unification of the Papacy in 1420.
- Medici family and their role in social and economic life.
- Constantine’s gift and its influence on political and social events.
- Characteristics of Renaissance culture.
- The social changes that led to the Renaissance.
- The essence of humanism and its principal ideological founders.
- Individual features of Renaissance architectural style.
- How is Julius II’s accession to the papal throne characterized?
- Development of art and architecture during the Papacy of Pope Julius II.
- Positive changes in culture through the Black Death.
- Jan van Eyck’s “Worship of the Lamb” and its cultural contribution.
- Leonardo da Vinci’s life and work in the context of the era.
- Why are works of the late 15th century important?
- The role of corruption in the accession to the throne of Pope Alexander VI in 1492.
- Causes and consequences of the invasion of Italy by the French king Charles VIII.
- The last stages of the Centennial War.
- Were the causes of the end of the Centennial War legitimate?
- The political, economic, and cultural consequences of the end of the Centennial War.
- The invention of printing press technology and its reflection on literacy.
- Francesco Petrarch as a father of the Renaissance.
- Florence as the center of the Renaissance.
- Christopher Columbus’s discoveries and their role in cultural development.
- Development of Sailing in the Renaissance.
- Artistic works of the late renaissance period.
- What does the appearance of works such as: “Giovanni Pico Della Mirandola’s 900 Theses – interpretations of ancient religious myths.
- The consequences of Suleiman “the Magnificent” coming to power in the Ottoman Empire in 1520.
- The influence of the works of Nicollo Machiavelli on the further political development of Europe.
Modern World History Research Paper Topics (Early Modern Period)
From the point of view of humanists, the “new age,” its “newness” compared to the preceding epoch, was the flowering of secular science and culture during the Renaissance, the spiritual and cultural factor, not the socioeconomic factor. This era is full of events about which to write one’s work.
Examples of topics for the Early Modern Period are.
by using our discount!
- Reasons for the tremendous Geographical Discoveries.
- The social and economic effects of geographic discoveries on Europe.
- Military features of the colonization of the Americas.
- Colonization of the Americas at the socio-cultural level.
- The beginning of the Reformation era.
- A Witch Hunt in Western Europe.
- Martin Luther’s 95 Theses as a statement against the churchmen.
- Reasons for the Reformation of Christendom.
- The role of the New Anglican Reformation in increasing literacy rates.
- Characteristics of the methods of Portugal’s struggle for independence from Spain.
- Seizure of Beijing by the Manchus and the final establishment of the Qing Dynasty.
- How valuable to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was the peace with Sweden to preserve the pre-war position in 1660?
- Internal political prerequisites in Rzeczpospolita for the truce with Russia, under which most of Ukraine became part of it as autonomy in 1667.
- Reasons and consequences of the Anglo-Dutch wars.
- The Integrity of the Individual Act and its role in developing democracy.
- Military Consequences of the Ottoman defeat at Vienna.
- Reasons why Sweden ceded the Baltic States – Estonia and Northern Latvia to Russia.
- What characterized the decline of the role of Spain in Europe?
- Reasons for the beginning of the Seven Years’ War.
- What was the reason for the convening of the First Continental Congress?
- Surrender of the British at Yorktown, military reasons.
- Prominent historical figures signed the Treaty of Versailles, recognizing U.S. independence in 1783.
- Reasons and consequences of Crimea’s incorporation into the Russian Empire.
- Coalition war. How did its events influence the development of the participating countries?
- Napoleon’s decree as an attempt to defeat Britain economically.
- The capture of Bengal by the British – the beginning of the transformation of India into a British colony.
- Features of the establishment of the first settlement in Australia.
- Why was the 30-year war a struggle against the Habsburg Hegemony in Europe?
- Implications of the Peace of Westphalia for the lower classes.
Modern World History Research Paper Topics (Late Modern Period)
The Late Modern Period begins with the French and Sardinian War against Austria and ends with the outbreak of World War I.
- The February Revolution in France overthrew the Orleans dynasty.
- Louis Napoleon Bonaparte, the nephew of Napoleon I, was elected president of France.
- Whether or not the abolition of universal suffrage in France was an attempt to limit the freedom of the peasantry.
- Reasons for Russia’s defeat in the Battle of Sevastopol 1854.
- Context of the Proclamation of the Confederate States of America – the Beginning of the Civil War in North America.
- Instruments of Unification of Germany by Bismarck.
- Important Economic Role of the Opening of the Suez Canal.
- The beginning of the Nobel Prizes as an indicator of the development of science.
- The Norwegian-Swedish Union: causes of occurrence.
- The Norwegian-Swedish Union: causes of dissolution.
- Political and economic consequences of the defeat of the war with Japan for Russia.
- Inclusion of Balkan countries into the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
- Reasons for the defeat of the Greeks in the war against the Ottoman Empire (1897).
- The Panama crisis in France. Causes and consequences.
- Mass pogroms of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire. Their influence on the situation in the Empire.
- Reasons for the mass pogroms of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire.
- The Question of Italy’s Defeat in the Italo-Ethiopian War.
- The purpose of building the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
- The “Great Premiere of Terrorism” and the world’s reaction.
- The social component of the Xinghai Revolution in China.
- Diplomatic causes of the Italo-Turkish War.
- Social prerequisites for the emergence of the Kuomintang party in China.
- Prerequisites for the outbreak of the Balkan War.
- The sinking of the Titanic and its causes.
- Social factors in the growth of popular discontent.
- Internal political reasons in the Ottoman Empire to participate in the Balkan War.
- The economic and social prerequisites for the beginning of the Russian Revolution.
- Possible methods of preventing World War I.
- Cultural Development Before and After World War I.
20th Century World History Research Paper Topics
The 20th century is considered the bloodiest in world history. Financial crises, the Russian civil war, two world wars, the nuclear and space race between the USSR and the United States, and many revolutions. All of this makes the 20th century the most.
Today, all of these events have become excellent bases for research papers topics on 20th-century history.
- The aftermath of the “Bloody Sunday” event of 1905.
- Social upheaval during the Revolution in Russia.
- Economic dependence in the European countries on the Empire
- Changes in the colonial status of African countries at the beginning of the 20th century.
- Diplomatic reasons for the outbreak of World War I.
- The decline of culture and loss of cultural values in Europe during World War I.
- Reasons for waging positional warfare.
- The political situation in the Entente countries 1914-1919.
- Consequences of the collapse of Austria-Hungary for Europe and Russia.
- Diplomatic consequences of the creation of the league of nations.
- Similarities and differences between the rise to power of the Fascists in Germany and Italy.
- Social and economic causes of the development of fascism in Germany.
- World countries take economic measures to counteract the financial crisis of 1929-1933.
- The Spanish Civil War for the defense of traditional values.
- The reaction of Turkey’s neighboring countries to the Montreux Convention.
- The political and social reasons for Austria’s acceptance of accession to Germany.
- How were the Non-Aggression Pact and the Secret Treaty beneficial to the USSR?
- The occupation of Poland by Germany and the USSR. The reaction of the countries of the world.
- The capitulation of France as the last hope of Europe.
- Main reasons for the outbreak of World War 2.
- The Battle of Stalingrad and its key role in the victory over Germany.
- Political Causes and Consequences of the Atomic Bombing of Japanese Cities by the USA.
- Economic, political, social, and other changes in the world after World War II.
- Regularity of occurrence of the cold war.
- The proclamation of the Republic of India as an indicator of Britain’s decline in power.
- Globalization and the development of technology in the mid-20th century.
- What was the reason for the “Year of Africa”?
- Creation of the Internet as one of the achievements of the 20th century.
- The Cold War and its economic impact on the USSR.
- A comparison of the political and religious causes of the Arab-Israeli wars.
🇺🇸 United States History Research Paper Topics
Since ancient times there have been tribes in North America who migrated there 10,000 to 15,000 years ago via Alaska. For a long time, they were the native and only population of the continent until Europeans discovered America. Here begins the story of exciting wars, the fall of the former order, and the formation of a new state. You can make great topics for a history research paper among all the many events in this territory.
African American history research paper topics
The continuous history of black people in the United States began in 1619 when 20 Africans landed in Virginia’s English colony. These men were not enslaved but bonded servants-people tied to an employer for a limited number of years, like many settlers of European descent. U.S. history is closely tied to black history and has much to be thankful for, so this option is for historical research papers.
write you a plagiarism-free paper
tailored to your instructions.
- The history of the emergence of blacks in North America.
- The bondage of people in the territory of America.
- The consolidation of slavery in Virginia in 1661.
- The culture of the first blacks in the United States.
- Adoption of the so-called Jim Crow Laws.
- Removal of black people from West Africa for enslavement in America.
- Crispus Attucks, a formerly enslaved person, was killed in the Boston Massacre of 1770.
- The role of blacks in U.S. independence.
- The recognition of Hayes as a legitimate President.
- Attitudes toward blacks among the general population.
- Reasons for the emergence of slavery in America.
- The Role of Black People in the American Revolution.
- Blacks in the Northern states after the Revolution.
- The U.S. Declaration of Independence and the role of blacks in it.
- The role and position of blacks in the southern states after the Revolution.
- The withdrawal of U.S. federal troops from the three Southern states.
- Domestic conflicts between blacks and whites in the 18th century.
- Slave labor in the plantation economy.
- Significant historical figures were defending black rights.
- Abolition of slavery as a result of the American Civil War.
- The differences between slavery in the north and the south of the United States.
- The Role of Black People in the Industrialization of America.
- U.S.-African Economic Relations in the Late 19th Century.
- Famous African-American monopolists.
- Black struggle for rights in the early 20th century.
- The role of blacks in World War II.
- The most outstanding African Americans in U.S. history.
- Martin Luther King and his Civil Rights Movement.
Research Paper Topics: American History Before 1877
This period is characterized by the struggle for independence, the abolition of slavery, and the beginning of industrialization in America. It is very important both in the history of the United States and in the history of the world. Here is a list of excellent topics on American history through the end of the 19th century.
- The Benjamin Franklin Initiative of 1754.
- Becoming an independent U.S. state.
- Benjamin Franklin was the father of American independence.
- The North American theater of the Seven Years’ War.
- Prerequisites for the War of Independence.
- The economic condition of the English colonies in 1753.
- The First Continental Congress.
- Confederate period of the United States.
- The defeat of the British at Trenton and Princeton.
- 1777 British Campaign Plan drawn up in London.
- Causes and Consequences of the Victory at Saratoga.
- The main principles of the Loyalists 1775 – 1783.
- The War of Independence of the United States. The Army of the English and the Continental Army.
- George Washington’s political reforms.
- The development of agriculture in the United States in the 18th century.
- Major figures in the U.S. War of Independence.
- The Greenville Peace Treaty.
- The essence of the peace treaty with Great Britain.
- Reasons for the displacement of civilians to the wild West.
- Disputes between the United States and Canada in the 19th century. Methods of settling them.
- The economic causes of the farm pogroms of 1839-1846.
- Industrialization in the United States in the late 19th century created monopolies.
- Abraham Lincoln’s election and his non-recognition by the Southern states.
- Socioeconomic causes of the outbreak of the American Civil War.
- The Reconstruction Amendments.
- The Gold Rush in the United States.
- The development of culture in the late 19th century in the United States.
20th Century American History Research Paper Topics
The 20th century in America is the century of rising and prosperity. And despite two world wars, the economic crisis at the turn of the 30s, the Cold War, and many complex events at the end of the century, this was a real test for America, which only made it more robust. We have summarized the most important events of this century for America, and we present them to you like research paper topics.
- The Antitrust Laws of the United States in the Early 20th Century.
- Economic and social causes of emigration to the USA.
- The development of industry and the formation of trusts.
- John Rockefeller and the monopolization of America.
- The fight against monopolies in the United States at the citizen level.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
- The progressive movement and their demands.
- Theodore Roosevelt’s reforms.
- “W. Wilson’s New Democracy.
- The material situation of the population. Activities of trade unions.
- Causes of the economic crisis for the United States 1929-1933.
- The consequences of the 1929-1933 economic crisis for the United States.
- Causes and consequences of U.S. nuclear weapons against Japan in 1945.
- Comparison of the effects of mass and the atomic bombing of Japan by the U.S. Army.
- Beginning of the Cold War.
- North Atlantic Conference.
- John F. Kennedy assassination mysteries.
- Martin Luther King’s civil struggle.
- Public attitudes toward the Vietnam War.
- The Space Race between the USSR and the USA.
- The political situation in the USA at the end of the 20th century.
- Iranian scandal.
- U.S.-Soviet nuclear weapons treaty in the late 1980s.
- Operation Desert Storm.
- The politics of Bill Clinton.
🎨 Art History Research Paper Topics
Since ancient times there have been wars and strife among people, empires have risen and fallen, but one thing has remained constant and irreversible: the development of culture. And any event, bloody, joyful, or neutral, brought its fruit in art. If you need to write an art history research paper, our research paper topics will help you make the process faster and more enjoyable.
Music History Research Paper Topics.
Music is influenced by all other aspects of culture, including socioeconomic organization and experience, climate, and access to technology. The emotions and ideas expressed in music, the situations in which music is performed and perceived, and attitudes toward performers and composers vary by region and era.
- The origins of prehistoric music.
- Oral music tradition.
- The most ancient musical instruments.
- Music of Ancient Egypt.
- Music of Ancient Greece.
- Features of Baroque music.
- Great musicians of the early Middle Ages.
- Unification of church music during the 9th century.
- History of the founding of the School of Notre Dame.
- Liturgical music of the Roman Catholic Church.
- Folk music of South and North America during the Middle Ages.
- The emergence of polyphonic music.
- Guido of Aretha as the founder of modern musical notation.
- Schools of polyphonic music in the period after 1100.
- Secular trends in the development of the music of the Middle Ages.
- Medieval troubadours, troubadours, and bards.
- Minstrel culture revival and decline.
- The role and place of the organ in the Renaissance.
- Features and characteristics of the music of the Classical period.
- Concerto genre and its history.
- History of the emergence of music in the Romantic era.
- History of one-stroke opera.
- Outstanding musicians of Romanticism.
- The principle of departure from the classics in the 20th century.
- The change in music after the two world wars.
- The music of the United States in the early and mid 20th century and its uniqueness.
- The development of jazz in America.
- Music of the 21st century and its origins.
Theatre History Research Paper Topics
At all times, the theater has been a collective art. Theater development has always been inseparable from society’s development and the state of culture. The peculiarities of theater development were associated with the predominance of specific artistic trends. A list of interesting topics on the history of theater:
- The history of the appearance of the first theaters.
- The outgrowth of Greek rituals into theaters.
- Roman theater.
- The relationship between theater and Christendom.
- Liturgical drama and its exile.
- Two forms of Italian theater.
- Padua’s troupe of actor and playwright Angelo Beolco.
- Famous actors of the theater of the 15th century.
- Pomponio Leto’s Revival of the Ancient Roman Theater.
- The first theater buildings in the world.
- The birth of opera and ballet in Italy.
- Grand theatrical events in the 15th-17th centuries.
- Theater of shadows and its peculiarities.
- Ancient archaic traditions of drama, puppet, and musical theaters of the East.
- Peculiarities of Indian theater.
- Orthodox theatrical acts.
- Russia’s first court theater
- Development of theater in the United States during the colonial period.
- Contributions to the theatrical arts by the black population of America.
- The birth of opera in Italy.
- The musical as a purely American art form.
- History of famous works of world drama.
- Commedia dell’Arte.
- Choral singing in theaters of modern times.
- The development of theater art in Europe in the early 20th century.
- Theater and cinema as two different genres.
- The acting profession in India.
- India’s national Kathakali theater.
- Metropolitan Opera House, New York City.
💃🏻 Dance History Research Paper Topics
It will be interesting to write about such a thing as dance, and if you choose the right topic for you, it will also be easy. Dance is an essential part of the culture: first, as a communication, later as entertainment and expression of art.
- Primal dances as a method of communication.
- Myths and legends about dances.
- Archeological evidence of women’s dancing in ancient Egypt.
- The profound dance traditions of India.
- Mata Hari and the popularization of Indian dance in Europe.
- Dance myths of Greece.
- Dance as a remnant of paganism in the Middle Ages.
- An attitude of the Church toward dancing in the Middle Ages.
- Tuono Arbeau’s dance manual.
- Religious dances performed by the Corybantes and Bacchantes.
- The first historically recorded balls.
- European dances of the Middle Ages.
- History of classical dance.
- Burlesque and the spin-off of striptease.
- Modern dances in the USA.
- The emergence of the waltz, bolero, and quadrille.
- The profession of a dancer in China.
- The dance school of the ancient East and its peculiarities 19.
- Development of the dancing school in China.
- The lion dance and the dragon dance.
- Cancan and its famous performers.
- African American swing tradition.
- Brazilian carnival samba and its history.
- Techniques that have influenced the development of modern dance.
- The place of dance in the rituals and ceremonies of the ancient Slavs.
- Primary historical sources about dances of Antiquity.
- The profession of the dancer in medieval India.
- The profession of the dancer in Italy in the 17th century.
- Modern dances in a Europe.
🎯 How to Choose the Best Topic for a History
Your choice of the topic determines your grade and how you will spend your time writing your paper. It can either be tiresome and stressful or exciting and easy. To choose the right topic for your history paper, you only need to stick to some rules:
- The topic should be short, concise, and complete. There is no need to copy a research paper paragraph into the title. Such titles are challenging to read cursorily and, in most cases, are completely unreadable when the article is easy to find.
- Don’t get hung up on one time or era. Unless your assignment implies it, don’t try to choose a topic from one time period for whatever reason. Look at the choice of subjects in history more broadly, and you will find a suitable one for you.
- Choose a topic that you understand and are interested in. If the subject of your work is not attractive to you, then the paper itself will be poor. Try to write on topics that are close to you. For example, a historical event that conquered your soul or an outstanding person.
- Do not take it if you doubt that you can do the topic. If the author chooses an interesting topic, he should be ready to search for information on it and the means to achieve the goal, which is sometimes tricky.
- The originality of the topic gives advantages. The most attention-grabbing issues contain an element of surprise and public importance and have intriguing language and controversy.
All negative historical moments should be carefully analyzed so that a person does not make similar mistakes in the future. This will direct modern life in the right direction. It is necessary to know history to consider past generations’ mistakes and prevent future occurrences.
The study of history gives each person great benefits. It helps to adopt the experience of previous generations. Learning from experience allows science, life, culture, and crafts to develop. Its importance proves how vital the role of history is for future generations. History contributes to the evaluation of the past. It develops analytical skills and thinking, which are essential in studying various sciences. Historical information is beneficial to memory and allows for proper information processing.
People benefit from the inventions of the past and develop through knowledge that has been gained from past times. Learning the difference between the present and the past helps properly understand the modern world to move forward. History’s benefits for future generations should not be ignored or underestimated, and it is essential to appreciate it and draw appropriate conclusions.